Chef For A Day
Meal times are a big deal at the House!
The Chef for a Day Program is one of the best ways to help care for our families while enjoying a night of fun with family, friends, or co-workers! Plus, you can cook in the same kitchen as celebrity Chef Emeril Lagasse.
- Get your friends, co-workers, school group, or other organization together to plan, purchase, and prepare the meal.
- All volunteers must submit a volunteer application from our website at www.quantumhouse.org/volunteer and mention Chef for a Day in the comment section.
- Once the applications are submitted, our Manager of Family Programs and Operations (MFPO) will email you our guidelines regarding the program as well as available dates.
- The group leader should confirm the menu with our MFPO as soon as possible so families do not have duplicated meals for that week.
- Our MFPO will email you a week in advance with our current guest numbers. We generally have about 60-70 guests at Quantum House.
Making the Meal:
- Your team will be providing the groceries to make the meal as well as your smiling faces!
- Your donations are tax deductible, and donation forms will be available.
- Our kitchen is equipped with two stoves, two ovens, sinks, refrigerators, all cookware, outdoor grill and other kitchen items we may have to prepare the meal.
- All serveware is located in our buffet closet in the Kitchen Galley.
- Most dinner meals include the following:
- Main dish
- Vegetables or fruits
- Beverages (optional)
- Food is served buffet style so the families can help themselves at 6 p.m.
- You are welcome to stay and eat with the families, they enjoy the company! Just make sure to add your group’s numbers to ours.
- Beverages for families are optional, but if your group is eating with us, please provide drinks for your team.
- Not all of our families can be present at meal times, but do enjoy it when they come home from the hospital!
- Ask before you purchase salad dressing. We may have plenty.
- Want to do extra? It would be helpful if you brought basic kitchen essentials like plastic resealable bags, paper towels, dishwashing detergent, bottled water and hand soap while you're at the grocery store.
- Some groups also bring decorations or choose a theme! It's up to you. The most important part is to have fun!
- "It's the best staff development on the whole planet!" -- Keiser University
Volunteers from FPL serving dinner to Quantum House families.
Volunteers from K&M Electric helped the kids make their own pizzas!